Saturday 12 September 2015

The Echorium Sequence by Katherine Roberts (reviewed by Karen Bush)

The first one!

I love these books, I really do, and it's so nice to be able to read a trilogy all in one go, rather than having an interminable wait between volumes, so you can devour them all in one go. I so very nearly didn't read them at all though: I approached the first book, Song Quest with a degree of reservation, not at all sure that it was going to be my cup of tea - I'm not in the slightest bit musical (as those who know my tin ear will attest) ... so the title put me off reading it for years and years. Then I was given a copy, and thought I'd better at least read the first chapter or two out of politeness - and I'm so glad I did. Within a couple of pages I was absolutely hooked, and by the time I got to the end of the first book in the trilogy I was panting to read the second: and before I'd even reached the end of the second book I'd ordered the third. Roberts is not afraid to age her characters as you move through the books - and in fact it's rather fun finding out what happened next to them, and seeing them through a different pair of eyes - as well as introducing new ones: neither is she afraid to administer the coup de grace to old friends when it is called for to add an edge of darker, gritty realism.
I'm not going to tell you any more than this as I should hate to spoil things for you - ignore the titles, which personally I feel do nothing to excite the interest, but instead go, buy and enjoy the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment