Monday 10 March 2014

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome


Three Men in a Boat

You can download the book for free, but I like this Kindle version of it as it has wonderful illustrations too. It also contains Three Men on the Bummel and Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow, making it great value for a mere 49p!

This is without a doubt the funniest book I have ever read – I laughed out loud when I first stumbled across it in my teens and I still giggle uncontrollably when I re-read it, even though I have read it many times since. If you haven’t read it, then do – you are in for a rare treat. Although it was first published well over 100 years ago, the humour is still as fresh as ever. It was a massive bestseller when it first appeared – deservedly so - and has never been out of print since.
Originally published in 1889, it is a fictionalised account of a boating holiday on the river Thames taken by Jerome and two friends, based on his real-life friends George Wingrave and Carl Hentschel. It was initially intended as a travelogue and as such is a lovely account conjuring up lazy, dreamy days on the river - but the humour tends to take over, and is what the book is primarily remembered for. The story of the maze, of Harris’ singing and George’s banjo, and of course the incident with the tin of pineapple … I am smiling simply thinking of them. If ever you need a book to escape into and be cheered by, this is the one.   

No comments:

Post a Comment